Monday, March 28, 2011

First real costuming post! Here's a recently completed project: a Victorian corset, works for 1850s-1870s, I'd wager.

It's Simplicity 9769. Credit must be given to Noelle, who made about 95% of this corset, as last year I had no experience in corsetry. She did nearly all of it in just a few hours! The pattern is apparently for size 36Z or something because my D's couldn't come near to filling it! So, after thinking about never getting to wear it, I decided to bite the bullet and fix it. I cut open a few seams along the boning (third seam from center on each side), and took in about 1.5" on each side to a bit above the waist. My boobs are actually held up now! And most importantly, I can actually use the corset for my two future Civil War-era dresses. I chose an all-white silk corset because I'd originally planned to make a white dress, but looks like blue is the color of the summer, so now it's just a pretty, virginal corset, haha. 

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yay! I'm so glad you were able to fix it!! It looks great, I might add.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it now! I feel kinda sexy in it, haha!

    ReplyDelete