Ah yes, the Elizabethan embroidered jacket that we see quite often. Must mean they're awesome!
Here's one of the inspiration jackets. This one is linen and hand-embroidered (obviously). Mine will actually look quite similar. I drafted my own pattern based on the waistcoat patterns in Janet Arnold and Tudor Tailor.
I have this lovely light gold silk with purple embroidered flowers that I
bought in San Diego a whole year ago. Jacket will be lined in gold
silk, and I have gold lace for the edges and antique gold braid for the
Here's how it looks now: lining and fashion fabric sewn into little vests :) Next step, the hip gores!
Here's the back lining and front fashion fabric pattern pieces.
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
I've decided that this is the FINAL fixed dress. At this point I would have to take it totally apart to change anything else. The only changes from the previous fix are the sleeves- I remade them since I had a bit of fabric left over. The last sleeves were too long, too tight, and a lousy pattern at the top. They only had two ribbons tying them on.
I made a tie-on sleeve pattern last year that fits my weird arms and shoulders, so I used that for the new sleeves, and they now have four ribbons. It's a much better look now.
I feel that the dress now looks more Florentine than English. My persona is English but this dress didn't feel English at all. I also don't think baby pink is a good "English" color. So Florentine it is!
Issues with this dress overall, that would take too much work to fix now:
1. I made the bodice too big.
2. It needs more boning- the bodice doesn't really support me at all.
3. The bodice is about an inch too long at the waist.
Other than that, I still quite like this dress. I can wear it to camping events and still look dressed up. It's a nice in-between outfit that's nicer than a kirtle and more casual than a gown. It looks good on me except the fact that the bodice is a bit loose.