Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Jewelry Making Day!

I've been slowly working on some jewelry over the last couple days, off and on.

First up is my girdle that I've had for a couple years now, but needed some revamping. I noticed at Pennsic that it was getting a bit saggy, so I decided to just restring the whole thing. I also changed out the bead caps for something more sparkly.







Second is the new, fabulous girdle I started this summer, with help from the always amazing Holly! It's made of swarovski pearls, beads, and focal settings. I wanted something more substantial than my old belt (see above). I chose amethysts after I found this great pendant at an antiques sale. Today I applied some gold leaf paint with this nifty pen, and it makes such a difference. It was dark and brassy before (left side), now it's bright and shiny (right side)!

Next is another girdle (I think I have a thing for gold belts!), but this one is for my earlier period dresses. I simply jump-ringed together some focal settings, then glued on some mother-of-pearl cabochons for an extra pop. If I knew a better method to connect the bits, I'd do it.
Lastly is my new AoA brooch. I got my award Sept 2009, but hadn't come up with an idea for how to wear it until recently. There was no way I was going to just hang it on a string! I bought this nifty brooch at the same sale as the above one. I liked that it was made in "West Germany". Now I can wear my AoA with some bling, too!






Saturday, August 20, 2011

Another Pink Kirtle!

Long time, no post! It's been a very busy summer for me. I've been doing small projects here and there, mostly little things for Pennsic, but now that I'm home for a bit, I can start on larger projects. For example...

Another pink kirtle! I found this linen in the red tag section of Joann's and scooped it up. It's an unusual color- definitely pink, but with a red undertone to it. There was only 3 yards, so I'm really cutting carefully on this one! I cut 25" off the length of the fabric for the bodice, and will cut the remaining yardage in half to make the skirt. I then bought this dark turquoise linen at Pennsic to make the sleeves and guards. This outfit will be super bright! Both colors are darker than pictured.

I'm at the boning stage right now. I used to buy precut / predipped spring steel, then decided I'd cut and dip my own lengths, but I really hate the process. I'm only continuing to do it because I still have rolls of boning to use up. After that, I'm going back to buying it. I just hate waiting a week to get the boning to my house.



Yes, the fashion fabric looks patterned oddly. I cut all three layers using my paper pattern, then sewed the interlining (cotton duck) and lining (cotton) together, and started modifying the pattern via sewing and cutting away. My current pattern is a little too large. I haven't cut down all the linen yet, so that's why it looks a little funny.

I'm debating using this kirtle as a layer for my ACC entry, instead of doing a gown...