1790s V Neck Gown

In February I attended the George Washington Birthnight Ball at Gadsby's Tavern in Old Town Alexandria. I made a new gown over the winter for this event. The fabric is from Renaissance Fabrics- it's a silk/linen blend with small embroidered metallic strips. The fabric can read as pink or purple depending on the light. It's whisper thin and feels like I'm wearing nothing.



I used the Queen Luise of Prussia pattern from Nehelenia Patterns. I would highly recommend this pattern! It fit very well with only the smallest alterations. It does have a very deep V neck- I actually raised mine a little because my stays are a bit high. I did alter the skirt to be just two large trapezoids.


I'm wearing my favorite bodiced petticoat underneath the dress. It's made from very thin silk taffeta and is extremely fitted, with bust darts, and opens at the sides with hooks and eyes. This way the front and back are smooth under any dress.


For my turban, I cut up a silk sari to make a very long scarf, and fringed the raw edges. It's simply wrapped around my head, and I added a feather for some drama.


My shawl is from Heritage Trading- wool with wool embroidery. My gloves are silk. Necklace from Dames a la Mode.


I was able to use just my own hair, curled with foam rollers overnight. I could use some more boost with 1790s hair but the turban does a lot of the work for me!


Comments

Popular Posts