Saturday, March 10, 2012

Red Gown Revamp

A couple weeks ago I finished fixing up my favorite gown. It's an Elizabethan with a french vibe. The always amazing Noelle constructed the bodice and skirt back in late 2009 before I could sew much for myself. I added tie-on sleeves, a bit of lace on the edges, and (crappy) hemming. It looked good, but my lack of skills back then made it not great. I feel much better about how it looks now! Here's the before; sorry about the crappy after pic- it looks great in person!

Changes made:
-New, bigger sleeves that are sewn into the armscye. Box pleats at the shoulder. Perfect pattern matching to show off the fabulous fabric.
- Removed the red velvet ribbon neckline binding. Made the shoulder straps about a half inch thinner. Put new binding on.
-Re-hemmed the skirt and added a red velvet guard for some extra punch.
-Bought wider, fancier lace and sewed it to the sleeve cuffs, only after finding documentation that I could have lace cuffs AND lace wrist ruffs at the same time! I still have to tack the lace a bit more at the tips and add a few swarovski pearls for more bling.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty!! Still loving that red silk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I so love this gown, and that red silk is so stunning with your coloring. Well done.

    ReplyDelete